Student Service Specialist
Grand View University
Education-Teaching/Admin | Full Time | Onsite | Des Moines
The first point of contact for students who need to complete basic transactions with the university in the areas of Registrar, Student Accounts and Financial Aid. The Student Services Specialist assists students in completing transactions, with a goal of teaching them how to do it on their own and refers students to the appropriate department for questions and issues that need more specialized care. When student facing needs are not as high, the Student Services Specialist assists the Registrar, Student Accounts and Financial Aid teams with special projects.
Deadline to Apply 3/11/24
1200 Grandview Ave
Essential Job Functions
• Registering for classes; adding and dropping classes
• Making name and address changes
• Filling out and filing a release of information form (FERPA) and/or setting up Parent Proxy access
• Verifying enrollment
• Accessing a grade report
• Requesting a transcript
• Helping guest/non-matriculating students with registration (e.g., high school/PSEO, cross enrollment, Senior Citizen, Drake University and local community college students)
2. Student Accounts
• Cashiering needs (includes faculty and staff)
• Collecting payments and setting up payment plans
• Contact students in regards to past due balances
• Distributing work study paychecks
3. Financial Aid (FA)
• Utilizing Self-Service web portal to complete and submit documents, find documents, and submit external scholarships
• Checking the status of an offer letter/appeal/ revision/refund/ FAFSA receipt
• Estimating cost after FA
• Determining course eligibility for FA; and how financial aid might change if drop/add class
• Scheduling appointment with FA counselor to review aid/financial plan
• First point of contact in-person, and by telephone and email for Registrar and Student Accounts, and in-person for Financial Aid
• Distributing work study paperwork and reviewing/accepting completed paperwork
• Building awareness and usage of online tools like Self-Service, Person Proxy, Navigate, myGVU, Handshake, etc.
• Cross-train on all front office Registrar and Student Accounts functions
• Special projects as directed
Associates Degree or equivalent experience required (minimum high school diploma)
Ability to problem solve, including asking leading questions to narrow down focus of inquires.
Ability to work independently at a front desk and to effectively manage multiple competing priorities.
Awareness of and willingness to collaborate with staff and students of various socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and identities.
Willingness to learn new skills and work with various departments to improve skills.
Comfort with learning computer systems and applications and navigating quickly between various systems including, but not limited to, Self-Service,
Blackboard, myVIEW, myGVU, Handshake, Navigate.
Experience in higher education preferred, but not required.
About the Company
Grand View University aspires to serve a diverse community of learners- students, faculty, and staff- in an inclusive and equitable environment with the goal of empowering all to achieve their fullest potential. Our objective is to sustain a campus environment that is free from the power imbalances and institutional biases that contribute to systems of oppression, while preparing our students to stand against those inequities when they leave Grand View.
Grand View University is dedicated to the goal of an inclusive campus where people of diverse identities feel welcomed and empowered to shape our culture and processes. At Grand View University we view diversity through the collective or group and we welcome and affirm the thoughts and experiences each distinct member brings to our community of learners.