Young Professionals in Greater Des Moines
As you look to continue your education, kickstart your career or perhaps just explore what’s next for you both personally and professionally — Greater Des Moines (DSM) is an ideal place to start a meaningful, engaging career. In fact, Forbes recently named DSM the #1 place for young professionals to live.
Why Young Professionals Choose Greater Des Moines
Career options and networking opportunities are only the beginning of why young professionals choose DSM. There are plenty of things to do and ways to get involved and build your community. Plus, the cost of living can’t be beat. DSM is a top 10 best affordable city for Gen Z renters (GoBankingRates, 2022) and one of the top 15 best places to live in the United States (U.S. News & World Report, 2022)
Internships in Greater Des Moines
Considering an internship in DSM over the summer? Explore a robust list of major employers and learn more about the key industries found here — then start your job or internship search today!
Community connection is key when considering a new place to live, work and play. Be sure to check out the DSM Intern Connection, an event series held annually in June and July giving interns and college-aged students a chance to network with peers, connect with community leaders and experience first-hand what makes DSM a truly special place. Grand View University even provides summer intern housing options to accommodate short-term needs for students.
Connect with Greater Des Moines Young Professionals
Another highly recommended way to network with peers in DSM is through the Young Professionals Connection (YPC). This social and professional networking group is a great opportunity to meet others in the region and forge connections in the community. Attend an event, join a YPC committee or simply subscribe to the YPC newsletter to see what YPs are up to around the region.
Explore College Preparedness Programs and Career Connections in DSM
These college preparedness programs can connect you to valuable and supportive resources as you plan out your post-secondary steps:
- Iowa College Access Network (ICAN) – this program builds up young professionals by helping Iowa students and their families plan for a career or college, file for financial aid and more.
- IowaWORKS for Youth and Young Adults – offering specialized services for qualified individuals ages 14 to 24, the program provides access to career assessments, skills matching, resume and cover letter creation, and more.
- Latino College Access Network (LCAN) – this statewide initiative aims to eliminate the educational attainment gap for Latino students in Iowa.
- Opportunity PassportTM – provides financial literacy and asset-building support for Iowans transitioning from foster care to adulthood between the ages of 14 and 26; one of the many perks is a 1:1 savings match (up to $1,000 a year) that can be used towards educational expenses.
- Summer Youth Experience Program (SYEP) – an initiative of Des Moines Community College (DMACC) that includes an eight-week work-readiness training, workplace experience and mentorship; intended for students ages 14 to 21.
- Young Adult Program at DMACC's Workforce Academy – for qualifying individuals ages 18 to 24 residing in Polk County, program participants can gain career and technical training focused on business, health care, skilled trades or transportation areas of study
- Y-ExCL Summer – this 10-week work-based learning experience offers a paid opportunity for individuals aged 14 to 21 to develop their employment skills, learn workplace ethics, time management, communication and other relevant skills
Continue Your Education in Greater Des Moines
Choose DSM for your college experience. With ample school choices and a broad representation of study, explore these colleges, universities and trade schools in DSM to find the perfectly-sized place, just for you!
Colleges and Universities in Greater Des Moines